Costa Catterina winery, whose sole purpose is wine making, is spread over 15 hectares which are divided into various plots in Castagnito d’Alba and surrounding areas.
Costa Catterina is situated in the Roero territory of Piedmont. The ancient roots of the wine-making tradition lie in this hilly landscape where it has found its just and deserved identity through the triumph of the vineyards, whilst at the same time respecting other cultivations equally as important such as that of hazelnuts.
The Roero territory lays to the left of the Tanaro river, half way between Asti and Cuneo, consisting of 23 municipalities.
Costa Catterina’s vineyards in the villages of Sabbioni, Crovera, San Licerio, Coste, Campagne, Aloetti and Castagnito were acquired off the Abbazia San Pietro of Breme and off the nobile family of the Roero. The location of these vineyards for the various varieties were intentionally chosen for the qualities of the soil and sun exposure resulting in high quality grapes.
A little more than a century ago, from the hamlet Aie of Castellinaldo d’Alba, with centuries of agricultural tradition behind them, the ancestors of the owner moved into the current location.
The vines are pruned using the traditional guyot system which limits the number of buds.
A characteristic of the vineyards is an ancient practice that does not use herbicides, leaving the vegetation between the vines, this helps prevent erosion. Natural strategies are also used for pest control.
Costa Catterina has recently received certification from GREEN EXPERIENCE showing they use natural methods in: the care of the ground; maintaining the biodiversity in the countryside and in the wine production resulting in an excellent quality of wine. The purpose is to protect the wine landscapes of the Langhe, Roero and Monferrato, which have recently been awarded UNESCO heritage, for the future using sustainable methods.
The Roero is the section of territory located to the North of Alba, on the left side of the Tanaro, in between Carmagnola’s plain and Astigiano’s low hills.
The history of this area goes back thousands of years; some written documents go back as far as the Romans, the Ligurians, the Etruscans and up to the present day.
The Roero has a considerably varied landscape of vineyards, woodlands and orchards.
One of the elements that makes up the landscape of the Roero is the “Rocche”, a geological phenomenon caused by erosion that has formed ravines over 100m deep, creating nature trails and spectacular scenery.
The village of Castagnito, the home of the winery, is situated in this area.
Castagnito, one of the villages that makes up the Roero, is a small municipality whose name derives from the old chestnut trees.
In the highest part of the village, above the town hall, where the feudal castle once stood, now stands the “Castelverde”, a panoramic spot shaded by trees where you can admire views of the surrounding hills or use as a picnic area.
Other points of interest include: the Parish Church of San Giovanni Battista, built in 1674 on the site where the SS. Quirico and Giulitta Church was destroyed; the Church of the Discipliners of the Holy Spirit sits beside the Parish Church and was built in 1708; and the Church of San Bernardo that is a circular shape with a pronaos, built in the Baroque style at the beginning of the 1700s, it is situated on the road leading to San Giuseppe of Castagnito and is destinct for that the fact that it is slightly leaning.