COSTA CATTERINA - THE WINES
Barbera d'Alba Superiore D.O.C.
Barbera is the wine that best rappresents rough and wilful character of the wine maker who, with love and passion for his estate, works tenaciously everyday to produce the best quality wine. Through the years Barbera has been strongly revalutated thanks to the favorable climate for this grape variety and wine making techniques.
- Classification: Appellation of controlled origin (D.O.C.)
- Type of wine: Still red
- Grape: 100% Barbera
- Colour: Intense ruby red.
- Bouquet: Intense with hints of plums, blackberries and cherries.
- Taste: Persistant, full bodied, intense and acidic, but well balanced.
- Serving temperature: 16-18 ° C
- Food pairings: Dolcetto goes well with every meal; first courses, white meats, red meats and cheeses.
- Ageing: Wood, bottled 2 years after the harvest
- Bottle size: 0.75 cl. And 3l
- Alcohol percentage: 14% (it can vary for each vintage).
Vinification: After around a month of being in the steel tanks for the alcoholic fermentation, the wine is transferred into big wooden casks of 30hl where it will remain for 24 months. Once the wine has been bottled, it will be aged in the bottles for 6 months.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE VINEYARD
- Area of production: Parish of Castagnito and Guarene
- Height above sea level: 350 m
- Sun exposion: South
- Year planted: 1980
- Vines per hectar: 3000
- Growing technique: Guyot
- Yeild per hectar: 90 quintals per hectar
- Soil: Limestone and clay